1204 Whiskey Rd, Suite B
Here are just a few of our initiatives that describe the broad scope of our activities:
- CNTA is informing the public about the economic importance of SRS to the economy of South Carolina and Georgia and the contributions of SRS employees to the quality of life in their communities. We are doing this at public meetings and through our Speakers Bureau.
- In meetings with state officials, Congressmen, and local elected officials, we have created a sense of urgency to bring new missions to SRS that will replace the programs that have limited life.
- In a cooperative educational effort with the Medical University of South Carolina, CNTA presented a seminar to the members of the South Carolina legislature on radiation and its health effects.
- Another seminar for SC legislators was held to examine the safety and economic benefits of keeping open the Barnwell radioactive waste storage facility. Information was provided to the media and to the South Carolina Governor.
- CNTA representatives participate in public hearings on issues related to SRS and formally commented on DOE plans for the Site.
- CNTA is called upon by the media to offer a counterpoint to anti-nuclear and anti-SRS statements made by adversaries of SRS and other nuclear facilities.
- CNTA speakers discuss the benefits of various applications of nuclear technology and the myths related to them with civic clubs, student groups, church groups, and in media articles.
- We have urged DOE and elected officials to continue the programs studying the health and safety of employees and the population in the vicinity of SRS.
- CNTA sponsors the annual Edward Teller Lecture, which brings internationally recognized experts to Augusta to speak on nuclear topics. Dr. Edward Teller, the nuclear pioneer and the first speaker in this series, gave CNTA his permission to use his name for the public lectures.
- Our frequent Up and Atom Breakfasts update our members on current nuclear issues. Our periodic newsletter, Aware!, keeps our members aware of the activities of CNTA.
- CNTA works for new missions for SRS, and is currently leading an effort to obtain a teaching and research reactor at SRS.
Questions, Comments, Concerns about our Website?